The Olympic Hockey Jerseys

December 4, 2009

Care of the IIHF, the Olympic Hockey Jerseys were unveiled today! We already knew what the Canadian Jersey looked like, so no big surprise there, but it’s very cool to see the whole collection. On the whole, I’m fairly impressed…there is only one set of jerseys that I really don’t like. But we’ll get to that:

Belarus


Starting out with one of the underdogs of the tournament here. There really isn’t that much to complain about, it’s a nice traditional hockey jersey, which is all I really ask for. In an independent setting, I don’t think I’d go with the red/green combo here, but of course we're working with National Colours here.

Canada


I’m probably not as big of a fan of these jerseys as I have been of past Team Canada jerseys. I’ll always be partial to the 2002 era jerseys I think. However, considering the controversy that surrounded the Hockey Canada logo earlier in the year, I think that this is a very very good compromise. I like the new logo a lot, and it fits in well with the theme of Vancouver 2010. I’m not terribly stuck on the red shoulders on the home jersey, but its not a make-or-break thing for me.

China


It’s very very strange to see a Chinese hockey jersey as they're not traditionally known to be a hockey powerhouse…..regardless, I like the design, if it is somewhat plain. I think my only criticism is that I’d like to see a horizontal band around the waist, rather than the vertical striping. That’s just the traditionalist in me though…

Czech Republic


Now you can’t see the back here, but judging from the front, it seems like they have finally gotten rid of that pointless ‘C-Z-E-C-H’ that they used to have right across the butt. Any writing that historically drew my attention to Dominik Hasek’s ass can’t be considered ‘good’... anything is an improvement over that.

Finland


I’m normally a pretty big fan of Finnish jerseys. The two-tone blue gives you a lot to work with, and is there anything more iconic about international hockey than the ‘Suomi’ stitched across a jersey? Unfortunately I think this incarnation misses the mark just a bit, for the simple fact that the ‘Suomi’ here is just a hideous colour, and totall clashes with the rest of the jersey. Why on earth have they decided to go with an Orange-Red? I think it looks especially bad on the away blue jersey.

Germany


I think that my favourite jersey of the whole set is the German away jersey, with the Iron Eagle almost ‘watermarked’ across the arms. There are a few instances of this ‘watermarking’ on other Jerseys, and it’s a risk…sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. I like it here however….two thumbs up!

Latvia


I’ve always been a big fan of the Latvian jerseys. I think the dark maroon and white colour scheme works well together. This iteration is another really good example of the scheme, with my only criticism being the ‘LATVIJA’ across the waist…..could probably do without that, continuing the band right across.

Norway


I normally want to see tradional designs in hockey jerseys. There is nothing that gets me going more than some abomination of a third jersey that looks like it was drawn by a 2nd Grader. The Norway jerseys here instantly evoke thoughts of the New York Rangers..a classic. Despite that, this jersey still doesn’t quite do it for me. Dare I say that its…too traditional…to the point of maybe being a little boring?

Russia

Oh our arch nemesis. As much as people think Canada is the favourite for gold…the Russians are gonna be very tough. Just so much skill. Anyways, right.....the jerseys…here is the second example of the ‘watermarking’ approach, and I don’t think it works as well here as it did for the Germans. The Russian jersey has a lot more secondary striping than the Germans, so I think the addition of the ‘watermarking’ clutters it up somewhat. The test here will be how much that ‘watermaking’ actually shows up in real life. If its subtle enough, I think it could still work.

Slovakia


This is a fairly basic entry from the Slovaks. Take a boilerplate template, add a logo…and done! It might be simple, but I think it still works. The Slovaks have a solid logo, so you don’t need to mess with it too much…

Sweden


Ahh, the “Tre Kronor”. When you have something that works, why mess with it. I’m a particular fan of the dark blues here…It’s a classic!

Switzerland


Oh for shame Switzerland. Evidently guided by their strict neutrality, it would seem the Swiss have found themselves unable to choose sides on their jersey, and have decided to just leave it blank….for fear finding themselves on the wrong side. What’s worse, the one feature that they do have is poorly executed. Why does the should striping stop at about the collarbone? It makes it look like a bib…….Anyways, maybe once they finish the jersey, I’ll be able to comment further….

United States


The only country to apparently roll out a third jersey, the USA gets it right with a simple yet effective design. Their third jersey is obviously from the 1980 ‘Miracle on Ice’, and they have used its clean design as inspiration for their main jerseys. The only thing I could do without are the stars on the white home jersey…but otherwise I like ‘em….

1 comments:

Mark February 21, 2010 at 12:14 AM  

I believe the US third jersey is actually based on the 1960 jersey, not the 1980.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This blog is the online chronicle of our adventures leading up to, and including, the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games. We hope to give you a little insight into what went into planning our trip and a first hand look at the Games from the ground in Vancouver.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP