Figure Skating - Canadian Pairs

October 24, 2009

As we all know, Scott is the hockey and curling guru. What you may not know, is that I spent 15 years of my life on a rink as well, figure skating. I stopped skating at age 18 when I had to choose between dedicating myself entirely to it in the hopes of doing the nationals circuit, or going to college. Being the responsible gal I am, I went to college. Not a day goes by that I don't wonder "what could have been" if I had chosen otherwise.

That aside, I do have some figure skating wisdom to pass on to the blogging world. Nothing has been finalized yet as far as who will be representing Canada until after Canadians 2010 in January, but I'm going to get on my high horse and assume I'm right. That being said, let's talk pairs. Let's talk about medal contention. Let's talk about Bryce Davison and Jessica Dube. First, I would like to say that growing up just outside of Hamilton, I did have the honour of skating a few times on the same ice surface as Bryce. I always remembered everyone making a big deal about him even back then.

Here are the facts:
Bryce and Jessica are the 2007 & 2009 Canadian National champions. (in 2008 they were 2nd to Langlois and Hay, they withdrew in 2009 due to injury. They will probably be going to Vancouver as well). She is 21, he is 23. They are coached by David Pelletier (yes, the guy from the 2002 Olympic figure skating scandal) and they are only getting better and better.

They went to Turino and placed 10th but that's pretty amazing when you think about the fact that he was only 19 and she was 18! They have spent the last 4 years preparing for this, and I think this is their time.

Last week they competed in the Trophee Eric Bompard competition (part of the ISU Grand Prix of figure skating series) and they came in 2nd behind Mukhortpva and Trankov of Russia. This is their performance:



They are a remarkably graceful pair. (or maybe I've just been watching "Battle of the Blades" too much!) So here's to crossing our fingers and hoping nothing but the best for them!

Oh, and just because I'm morbid, I'm posting this short clip of an accident Dube and Davison had in 2007. I warn you, it's brutal. She had to get 80 stitches to the face. Enjoy!




0 comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

This blog is the online chronicle of our adventures leading up to, and including, the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games. We hope to give you a little insight into what went into planning our trip and a first hand look at the Games from the ground in Vancouver.

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP